Safaris are a real adventure for a family, it’s a holiday that kids will be talking about for years to come. Seeing animals like, rhinos, elephants, lions and leopards in their natural habitat is a truly amazing experience. If you’re looking for a great safari then you should think about looking at safaris in Botswana. To make sure that your safari is a perfect as it should be you should follow these ten simple tips:
1) More often than not people travel with their families during the summer, this means that it will be winter in many of the safari locations in Africa. So remember to pack accordingly, you need to have plenty of layers for the kids. Bring hats, scarves, warm jackets and anything else you have to keep them warm.
2) It’s a good idea to go out on a safari drive by yourself. Many safari lodges will offer group trips for families with kids, this can lead to a number of problems. The last thing you want to be doing is worrying about your kids ruining someone else’s day and vice versa. If you’re out as a family the kids can ask as many questions as they like and you will have peace of mind.
3) You MUST listen to your guide. Your guide is the pro, the expert, he’s the man that keeps you safe. He will let you know when it is safe to stand outside the vehicle, don’t be brave and ignore his advice. If he tells you to move or to do something then you do it. You should let your kids know that the guide is the boss and what he says goes. Safaris are extremely safe and the big animals will rarely approach your vehicle due to it’s shape and size.
4) Make it an educational experience for your kids. It’s always a great idea to encourage them to keep a journal, this way then can jot down all of the animals they have seen. You should also bring along some books for reference – there are some great books out there for kids. This means that when they get home they can read about what they have seen and add notes to their journal.
5) Don’t expect it to be like a wildlife documentary, you will of course go through long periods of see nothing at all. You should be prepared for this, kids can get restless so this is when the books and journals come in handy. You might even like to bring a pack of cards to keep your kids entertained.
These are some really useful tips to follow, they will help prepare for your trip. You will have a great time on your safari, it will be a family holiday that everyone will enjoy!